Ep. 32 – Embracing the Entrepreneurial Experience – with Jason Feifer, EIC of Entrepreneur Magazine
Jason Feifer is the Editor-in-Chief of Entrepreneur magazine and the host of two podcasts: Pessimists Archive, about the history of unfounded fears of innovation, and Problem Solvers, about how entrepreneurs solve unexpected problems in their business.
We discuss how Jason worked his way up to EIC, why Gen Z should learn diverse skills to adapt in today’s unpredictable economy, and the universal experience of entrepreneurs.
Great tips from Jason:
- “You need to think about what you’re learning, not just how impressive or how cool a job is.” As long as you’re learning, you’re doing great. When there’s nothing else to learn, it’s time to move on.
- Seek our diverse experiences so that you can learn diverse skills; Freelance, volunteer, and work with a variety people so that you can learn many skills, in different fields. “We’re not in a predictable economy right now.”
- If you want to succeed as an entrepreneur, you have to be a self-starter. “A lot of people have dreams and aspirations, but they don’t actually get the car out on the road and start driving it… You have to earn attention, and you have to be so great that people want to talk about you.”
- Ambition is great, but you also have to keep at whatever you set your mind to! Finding success – especially online – is a marathon, not a sprint. “The people who are resilient and really do hustle and stay with it and keep pounding on that door – those people get through. That counts for a lot.”
- Everyone in any form of business is in the customer service business – all the time!